This program is closed.
Our Celebrate Arbor Day Program is 15 years old! Since 1999, the NJ Tree Foundation has partnered with hundreds of volunteer groups to plant over 160,000 trees on public lands across the state! We want to make this year the biggest tree planting event ever! We have 15,000 baby trees (1 – 2′ tall) waiting to be planted by volunteers.
The following trees are available this spring: White pine, Bald Cypress, Redbud, Northern red oak, Green ash, Buttonbush
Guidelines: The New Jersey Tree Foundation is offering free two-year-old trees (1’ – 2’ tall) to celebrate Arbor Day 2013 in New Jersey. A variety of evergreen and deciduous trees will be available. Schools, local governments, tree groups, non-profit organizations, scout groups, and any volunteer organization may apply for the free trees. All planting must occur on public lands, be done by volunteers and maintained for two years.
The goals of this project are to:
- Use volunteers to plant trees on public lands to Celebrate Arbor Day 2013!; and
- Develop partnerships with diverse groups for information and resource sharing, and future projects.
There are many ways the trees can be used to beautify your neighborhood. Trees can be planted in a vacant lot to create an urban forest, planted as a windbreak for a community garden or at a school, planted in a nursery, or trees can be planted randomly throughout a park or cemetery.
It is important to note the following conditions mandated by the New Jersey Tree Foundation:
NEW: Each species comes in a pack of 25 trees. You must order in increments of 25 trees.
- Trees may be planted only on public land (parks, school grounds, cemeteries, public golf courses, etc.)
- Trees will be available in late April 2013, and must be planted on/near Arbor Day (April 26, 2013);
- All groups must maintain trees for a minimum of two years after the trees are received: Providing water, mulch, weeding and pruning;
- Groups may NOT sell or give away trees;
- All projects must be done by volunteers;
- All groups must complete and send an annual report form to the New Jersey Tree Foundation by the required date;
In addition to the above requirements, the New Jersey Tree Foundation requires that each NEW group send at least one member to a Tree Planting Event Training Session held in March 2013. This is a mandatory requirement. Training Schedule